Monday, February 20, 2006

INDIA EMERGES AGAIN

The prospects of “Bharat Yatra” are emerging once again, but this time to the capital New Delhi. I would like to visit Delhi for several reasons.
1) Since so many rulers have invaded it several times in history, my share is still vacant. The area between Kashmiri Gate and Chandni Chowk (Old Delhi) is centre of attraction.
2) It carries the flavour of two great civilizations because of its centrality i.e. The Indus Valley (Pakistan) and the Ganges Valley (India).
3) Once again I would like to be a peace pigeon.
4) This time, most of my friends have been selected too, contrary to last year’s trip to Mumbai where though I had time of life, its horrors are extant because of my sublime loneliness. (Not to forget the night stay on Karachi airport, and lost wallet episode in Mumbai)
5) It’s the last year at Pakistan College of Law and technically that too of my academia in my homeland (I suppose).
6) I would like to surprise my old friends in Mumbai.
7) One of my favourite authors Khushwant Singh has so profoundly written about the lusty, charming and libido climate of Delhi, in his novel called DELHI.
8) The journey will be across Wagha on ‘Dosti-bus’ and thankfully not through the haggard aerial route.
9) It carries vital academic significance for my portfolio.
And last but not the least at all.

10) I WANT TO PAY HOMAGE DIRECTLY TO MY CHACHA GHALIB.


The visit is to take place somewhere in mid-March and though the complex procedural requisites haven’t been fulfilled yet, I am looking forward to the trip. In each case Delhi is on cards and despite all the odds against and my CHACHA’S favourite adage:

Dili abhi door ast
(Delhi is still far away…)


Delhi HERE I COME. I mean here I come (INSHALLAH).